Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have some sex offender rules questions regarding travel…

Customer Question
I have some sex...

I have some sex offender rules questions regarding travel outside my state

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the charges? What's the current status of the case?

It's after 10 years so I've been taken off my state SOR

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Iowa each state is different......this is so confusing it makes you NOT want to travel

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/31/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley

can you give me a little more background and what you are looking to do

I've been removed from the Iowa SOR due to 10 years having elapsed.
My work requires me to travel anywhere in the US, but I also know each
state has it's own rules. I want to be able to travel to all states, do
my work, and leave....and not have to register in that state. I'm currently
research the rules in each state........as there is no advocacy for offenders and
as far as I've seen, no "place or person" who can give right answers to
these and the many other questions that come up. I understand it's done on
purpose to keep offenders in the dark.
All I want to do is work in Iowa and travel to other states for either work or vacation.
Calling up each state takes a lot of time and in recent phone calls to Illinois and Mississippi
I've repeatedly received different interpretations of the same law or code!
Hope that helps
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago

I can understand where you are having a great bit of difficulty. There is no uniform legal standard with regards ***** ***** offense or any of the offenses throughout the 50 states. And in essence each of the states have their own guidelines per se. If you have already passed the notification requirements and Iowa, then I do not believe you need to notify whatever state you are going to as long as it is a short-term visit for work where you are going into the state quickly and leaving quickly. I wish there was a better answer with regards ***** ***** every states guidelines are but unfortunately that does not exist. However, the key is that you have already finished serving your sentence and notification requirements. As long as you are being compliant with Iowa and are only visiting the other states for a very short period of time you should be okay