Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband is charged with criminal damage to property and

Customer Question

My husband is charged with criminal damage to property and terrorist threats. I do not want to testify
JA: Was a subpoena served regarding testimony? Is this a civil or criminal case?
Customer: yes and criminal I've expressed this to the DA and they are not listening
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: georgia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have sent letters to the judge and DA
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If served with a subpoena, there is a legal obligation to appear. However, actually appearing, is at your discretion. While you are under a court order, the burden would shift to the DA, to proceed and try and find you or go so far as hold you in contempt of court, for failing to comply with a court order. Moreover, unless you were deposed and they locked you into a statement, there is no way of them knowing what you will testify to, what you know and what you remember. As such, once this is expressed to them, they may determine that you are not a witness who they want and need to call, to help their case and may back off.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!