How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is charged with criminal damage to property and

Customer Question

My husband is charged with criminal damage to property and terrorist threats. I do not want to testify
JA: Was a subpoena served regarding testimony? Is this a civil or criminal case?
Customer: yes and criminal I've expressed this to the DA and they are not listening
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: georgia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have sent letters to the judge and DA
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If served with a subpoena, there is a legal obligation to appear. However, actually appearing, is at your discretion. While you are under a court order, the burden would shift to the DA, to proceed and try and find you or go so far as hold you in contempt of court, for failing to comply with a court order. Moreover, unless you were deposed and they locked you into a statement, there is no way of them knowing what you will testify to, what you know and what you remember. As such, once this is expressed to them, they may determine that you are not a witness who they want and need to call, to help their case and may back off.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!