Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

I was talking to someone on a chatroom on POF, her profile

Customer Question

Hi there, i was talking to someone on a chatroom on POF, her profile stated that she was 19, we exchanged phone numbers, i noticed hers was a 901 area code (which seems to be Memphis) and mine is 613 (Ottawa, Ontario) i found that a bit suspicious, but we talked normally, i was being a bit friendly, a touch flirty, she said she was 17 (me being 23) and she started sending me pictures (nothing very provocative, a picture of her, and then a picture of her in her underwear, these pictures i did not ask for) i decided to be nice and compliment the pictures. Now im being called by a lawyer representing the client. Im terrified. What should i do?
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: I dont think so, when i heard the lawyer, i hung up out of panic. If it is real, he will most likely call me back.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: So i am located in Ottawa, Ontario in Canada
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ill be honest, out of fear, i deleted the conversation we had. Im sure there is a way for me to get it again, but im not 100% sure
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
This is a very common scam we are seeing with increasing frequency lately. In actuality, there probably is no underage girl at all. The whole purpose was to get you to text something inappropriate or send nude pics so that the blackmail could occur.
Do not respond. Stop all communication. Nothing will happen. There is no underage girl and this person is a criminal trying to steal your money. They will not go to the police because they do not want any attention from law enforcement.
If the lawyer calls back just hang up. Block the number from your phone.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.
Otherwise, have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!