Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am on no probation.probation made a sweepcame by my home…

Customer Question
I am on no...

I am on no probation.probation made a sweepcame by my home and I guess they got word someone they were looking for was in there so I woke up with theminmy house,they srrested me for maintaining a drug house but was it alright for them to enter and search me my room and entire home,the person they wanted was in my renters room and they found drugs on him

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Calif

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I have court on tues aug 1

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/31/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Probation can enter the home of the person on probation to search without a warrant at any time. That's one of the things people agree to when accepting a term of probation. But they cannot enter and search your home looking for a renter who doesn't live there without a warrant. If you informed them that he didn't live there, and they continued to search, that is illegal.

A local attorney may be able to help by filing a Motion to Suppress any evidence obtained as a result of the illegal search. Once evidence is suppressed, that makes it more likely you'll be able to get the charges dropped. If you cannot afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one for you at no cost at your first court appearance. But you're free to hire someone if you prefer.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?