Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My husband is a registered sex offender and we just moved to…

Customer Question
Hello my husband is...

Hello my husband is a registered sex offender and we just moved to polk county fl,we lived in Osceola county for over 3 years with no problem and Now in Polk County they have a 2,500 feet ordinance and we are unsure if it applies to him being that he was arrested in Feb,1994,so can you help us out and clear that up for us ,In the ordinance it says "any inmate arrested and convicted on Oct 1,1995,and that is what is confusing the Detective in this county said to us that we are reading it wrong so please help us clear this up ,Thankyou !

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Polk County Fl,and he was arrested in Feb ,1994 in New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok thankyou ,

I think the statute is written rather inartfully, but it appear that the sheriff believes that the regulations apply to those who were convicted of a sex offense on or after October 1, 1995 and to those who, on October 1, 1995, had been previously convicted of a sex offense.

In short, the sheriff believes that the 2,500 requirement is to apply to all sex offenders.

Frankly, I am reading it your way, though I find it unclear and the important thing is that the sheriff finds it crystal clear. I suggest calling the local prosecutor's office and speaking to someone in the sex crimes division for an authoritative interpretation, because the sheriff can only make an arrest. It's the prosecutor who has to prove the law was broken.

It is not clearly written and its not fair that he wants us to move asap and we just move into this house and i did the research before we moved here reading that Ordinance and he swears that it applies to him and left us a voice message stating we had to move ,I just dont know ,But i will contact the local prosecutor on Monday,Thankyou
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD