RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I got an MIP the other night, it was my third one. Although

Customer Question

I got an MIP the other night, it was my third one. Although the other two were diverted over a year ago. What will happen?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The first MIP was in a different county for alcohol. The second was for Marijuana. The third was again for alcohol, but in the same county as the Marijuana charge
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Subsequent convictions for a minor in possession are punishable by a fine/court costs. In addition, the court can order you to undergo diagnostic assessment. An evaluator will refer you to an alcohol information program or to a treatment program designed for counseling. You will pay for the cost of your assessment and the treatment program ordered. The sentence includes a one year suspension of driving privileges, which will require paying a reinstatement fee to the DMV at end of the suspension period to get your license back, but there is no early termination of the suspension period (unlike in a first offense).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even though the other two were over a year ago? I already have diverted them, I thought they might be off my record by now.

Except that the court still has those records so a judge is going to know that you have had prior offenses and been given chances in the past and have re-offended. I obviously can't guarantee outcomes, and judges have a lot of latitude as far as what they do in a courtroom, but at some point, I have to believe a judge is going to feel like you don't deserve another chance and hold you accountable.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, thank you for your time.

You're very welcome. Have a good rest of the weekend.