Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been with my partner now for 17 years. We never got…

Customer Question
I have been with...

I have been with my partner now for 17 years. We never got legally married and we live in Texas. Make a long story short, he was in a sober living facility and I decided I wanted a new car. We have 3 vehicle's and a travel trailer all with both our names on the note. I told the sales man that he was gone to rehab and he asked if I could sign his name. I said sure. So, I did. Now that hes out he piched a fit about it so the dealer said that in order to get his name off the contract I could trade it in and get another car through another bank with just my name. My sweet hubbs said that he was going to file forgery charges on me and I will be looking at 2 to 3 years in prison. I have never been in trouble done drugs or problems with the law. What am I facing if he does file forgery charges on me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/30/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

On a first arrest, typically you'd probably be looking at nothing worse than probation, which is the most common plea offer on a first non-violent theft related offense. Here, however, you have a long term relationship, and Texas is a common law state. I assume you put the new vehicle in both names. Married couples, common law or othewise who live together, sign each other's name with permission all of the timee

The police might not even be interested in this case.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD