Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am on parole till 2026. i have a drug charge non violent.

Customer Question
Good morning. i am...

Good morning. i am on parole till 2026. i have a drug charge non violent. what doi have to do to get my gun rights back

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this a first-time offense, or is there a record of criminal activity?

I have been on deferred probation before but when i saw parole they didnt see it.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No maam

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If you are on parole until 2026, your felony will not be completely discharged until then. That means you would not be eligible to apply for the restoration of your rights until your case is fully closed.

From there, five years after your case is over, Texas will allow you to keep a gun in your home for your protection, but you would not be allowed to take it outside of your house. You'd need a pardon from your governor to fully restore your state and Federal second amendment rights.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD