Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was called by the, I was called by the DEA today saying

Customer Question
I was called by the JA...
I was called by the
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was called by the DEA today saying I'm in violation of title 21 section 953 for buying controlled substance
JA: Was a citation issued? Has a court date been set?
Customer: just a phone call, nothing else.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm seeing a private lawyer in morning
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Hi
thanks.

The DEA doesn't generally call and give you advance notice to destroy controlled substances or skip town. If you were really going to be charged, they'd show up at your home with a warrant for your arrest.

There is a well-known scam that you are probably the victim of. It happens when people buy drugs online from bogus online pharmacies. It is illegal to do so, however, many of these pharmacies are outright frauds. And what they do is to set you up for identity theft by utilizing your credit card information, which they have, and also seek to threaten you into paying money to fraudulent DEA agents to avert an arrest that is really never going to happen.

You can read about the scam here.

Did this person ask you for money? Typically, they are not even calling from within the US. Did the calller have a foreign accent?

my concern is should I take the call from the DEA before I see my lawyer? My appointment is in the morning.
The call from the DEA was not fraudulent. It's the real deal.
The DEA agent did not have an accent.

NO. YOu should not call. First of all, unless you tell me somethiing that will make me feel differently, it's sounds like a scam, and they're going to ask you for money.

But even if they were the real DEA, anything you say to them could potentially be used against you if you were really to be charged. Anything your lawyer says on your behalf can't be. Let your lawyer make the call.

What makes you think the call was real?

The call was from DC. When I punched in the extension it did forward it to the agent who called me
I realize that anything I say will be used against me which is why I did not call them back.
They obviously want you to admit things and then that's when they get you.
You and I are on the same page about not calling him back and letting my lawyer deal with it
I'm Jeffrey by the way. I appreciate you responding.

Correct. If they are real, they are looking for statements. That's why your lawyer should call.

THe fact that they have what appears to be a DC number is ***** however, as is the fact that when you call that number you get someone who claims he's the agent. All of that can be falsified.

Was this an online purchase in personal use amounts or something more serious? If the former, I'll be interested in knowing whether your lawyer thinks it is for real. If the latter, you don't need to tell me what you did do.

On Line personal use, and I never received the meds. It was in April. However I get at least 10 phone calls every day for the last year-and-a-half from these online pharmacies.

Thank you. I'm going to stand by my feeling that this was a scam. You never got the medication, nor did you get a notice from Customs and Border Patrol that your package was being held for confiscation. How would the Federal government even know you ordered this? I know you're worried but I think that it is likely groundless.

But the voicemail from the agent did mention Title 21, Section 953. But he lied saying I did this several times. I'm conflicted. And he said they successfully closed down these pharmacies in Bangladesh and India.
I hope you're right about this being groundless.

His name is***** c*****. And he said I've ordered this medication several times. That's where the lie is.

As he didn't ask for any personal information I think it might be for real
he knew my first and last name.

So what? You don't think that they can Google that information?

The DEA has no authority in Bangladesh and India. American law enforcement jurisdiction ends at our borders.

But of course he knew your first and last name. YOu charged the purchase with a credit card.

By all means see a lawyer. You'll feel better about it. But I'm not going to change my opinion on the basis of anything you've told me. This conforms perfectly to the DEA scam prototype.

I use a Western Union not a credit card and I understand that anyone could Google anybody.
I agree with you about it being a scam.
I just didn't like the title 21 section 953 comment that he made. I realize anybody can get this information. I of course found it online as quickly as someone else might
Interesting about our jurisdiction ending at the u.s. borders. That makes more sense. Because he said they successfully closed down these pharmacies in India and Bangladesh
That makes me feel much better.

I just Googled special agent Karl c***** DEA and he does exist and he is with the US DEA

Now I'm a bit concerned. So we'll see what my lawyer says in the morning.

Yes. Karl C***** is the agent in charge of the Washington DC field office of the DEA. And he wouldn't be making a call like this.

Let me know what your lawyer says, but for numerous reasons, I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Scammers use the names of prominent people, like the head of the FBI or the head of the DEA to bolster their fraud.

I was about to ask you if somebody would use his name
why would a high-ranking official be calling a nobody like me
When I saw the agents profile immediately realize it has to be a scam. There's no way he would call me

He wouldn't. Correct. This is a scammer looking to extort money.

I've got to turn in for the night now. Keep me posted once you talk to your lawyer. Once you find out it's a fraud, report it to the FBI online at www.IC3.gov, their Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Sleep well. I've heard this many, many times before. Only the agents names change. The rest is formulaic.

Thank you so much I appreciate your input and your brains

You are welcome, and good night

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD