Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

My wife was charged with selling alcohol to a minor at the

Customer Question

My wife was charged with selling alcohol to a minor at the restaurant she works at. The people that trapped her were from the ALEA. the woman had a fake ID
JA: Is this a first-time offense? Have there been any prior underage drinking charges?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My wife thought the year on the fake ID said 1994 not 1997
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

Also, can you clarify this: "My wife thought the year on the fake ID said 1994 not 1997."

Why is it relevant that the ID was fake if the ID says 1997? In other words, fake or not, the person cannot buy alcohol with that ID.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the fine and can she work anymore?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what is the fine, and can she still work?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again.

What state is this in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ALABAMA
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again.

After contemplating what you wrote, I'm really sorry to say that I don't think that I'll be able to provide you with a useful answer. However, it's quite likely that another attorney at this website will be able to do so. Accordingly, I will open your question for other attorneys to review. Your patience is appreciated. :)

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

I see that you requested a phone call, I've sent you the link, there is a small additional fee, once accepted we'll be able to speak over the phone. Thanks!

In the state of Alabama it is a misdemeanor offense to serve alcohol to minors.

It is punishable by up to one year in jail AND/ OR a fine of up to $1,000.

Keep in mind, it does sound like your wife may have a plausible legal defense -- she did in fact ask for an ID and look at it -- it sounds like she made an honest mistake and thought she read a 4 instead of a 7.

If AELA decides to pursue criminal charges, then I would advise your wife to hire an attorney to represent her because she may be able to get this case dismissed. Again, it sounds like she did in fact ask for an ID before serving the customer/ undercover officer, and made an honest mistake.

As far as whether she'll still be able to work-- yes, she can still work from a legal perspective. There's nothing in the law that penalizes or prohibits her from working in the same capacity.

Whether her boss or the establishment owner takes an issue with this is another story. Again, it was an easy mistake to make, and she did in fact ID the individual, so that is all something her boss would take into consideration.

If she has a good working relationship with her boss, and if they are at all reasonable, I don't think this would cause a problem with her job.

I hope that helps! If you'd like to speak more privately about her case over the phone, I'm available and would be happy to speak with you, so you can still click the link I sent earlier to get us connected for a phone call.

Otherwise, please let me know if you have any other questions and please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated).The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help, thanks!