Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

My granddaughter is on probation and drinking would be a

Customer Question

my granddaughter is on probation and drinking would be a violation of that probation, she would be facing time for this violation. But, her drinking is out of control, could we ask the probation officer for treatment instead of slam dunking her into prison
JA: Was a motion to revoke probation filed?
Customer: no
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your question today. A violation of the probation terms doesn't always result in the revocation of her probation and your granddaughter is entitled to a probation hearing on her breach of probationary terms.

If the officer isn't proceeding to revocation of her probation then she may receive a warning instead of hearing.

Probation officers have broad discretion so her unconditional promise to abide by the terms including a good will suggest at treatment may be sufficient in the circumstances.

At the minimum your granddaughter will be entitled to a full hearing before her probation can be revoked.

Please follow up with me if you need more information.

We are here to help.

In return please remember to click the positive ratings icon.

You do this by rating 5****, 4**** or better.

I hope you rate FIVE STARS

This gives me a credit for my time and response.

Thanks

Attorney Bill