Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a quick question. I was falsely accused of a crime

Customer Question
Hello I have a quick...
Hello I have a quick question. I was falsely accused of a crime from a detective and the court found nothing but still did not want to let the case go and tried to set me for trial. So the case just was dismissed. I have been living a really stressful life because of this and trying to get back on my feet due to losing money for lawyers fees. Can I file a counter law suit against the detective or court for false accusations or something like that? I feel like is unfair for me to go through this for no reason at all.
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: There was but they have been dismissed
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Pretty much it
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You may be able to sue for false arrest, but in order to be successful with that suit it's not enough that you were charged with a crime and that the case was dismissed. The big stumbling block in these types of suit is that the arrest also has to be without probable cause.

Probable cause is just a reasonable belief that you may have committed a crime. There's a very low standard of proof, and usually the police would have it or they don't make an arrest in the first place.

Why did the detective accuse you?

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD