How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28364
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 20 years old, and while leaving Myrtle beach South

Customer Question

Hello i am 20 years old , and while leaving Myrtle beach South Carolina for my brothers senior week , i was pulled over for speeding in tubberville South Carolina. Speeding in this town was a mistake because the gps was taking me through back roads to get home to Columbia SC, where the speed limit went from 55 to 35 in a matter of seconds. There are no excuses because i should have been more cautious. Once the cop came over to the car he asked if anyone had been smoking marijuana in the car , we had not smoked in the car but the smell was in our clothes from smoking before we got in the vehicle. My fiance was driving and he told the police if anything is found in the car that it was his. In his book bag was a jar and and scale with a nugget of marijuana inside. In my bag was three small closed cans of the alcoholic beverage lime a rita. We were both issued tickets for simple possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphanillia, and possession of alcohol under the age of 21. The court date is scheduled for tomorrow and i am very shook about the whole situation. The marijuana was given to us by someone in myrtle beach and i was unaware that there was some left over and that it was in the car. Since the car is in my name i know that they have the right to charge me with the same tickets as my finace even though he said that the marijuana was his. Also at the time i was unaware that my cousin had put three cans of the alcohol in my bag after begging her not to, she had so many that she was shoving them into everyones bag when no one was looking. Please help me with what i should do in court tomorrow, i was told by my father that i should get a jury trial so i will have extra time to pay for the fines, I also heard that we may be eligiable for PTI and AEP courses. I am biology full time student and have never been in this situation the only reason that this occured is because for that one weekend i had decided to try to have a good time , i am usually not a smoker and defiantly do not indulge in alcoholic beverages.
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure, there are tickets for both of us and for me it says i have to appear in court tomorrow?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: does the advice cost?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible. Of course, you can also fight this and go to trial. if your boyfriend were to appear and testify that the marijuana was his and you had no knowledge of it, it may be hard for the State to prove those charges against you. As far as the alcohol, your friend could appear and testify as well, if she will take the blame but if not, it would be your word and up to the Judge or Jury to believe.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.