How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1625
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im.on probabtion in Minnesota but moved to Florida 3 years

Customer Question

Im.on probabtion in Minnesota but moved to Florida 3 years ago. I have complete 6 years and 8 months of a 10 year sentence. I have been on call in only for almost a year. Can I request early release and how do i do that?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in g
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Florida nut minnesota is where probabtion was given
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have paid all fines. Completed all classes and therapy plus more I was told
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

You must file a Motion for an early discharge from probation. In most cases, if it is an active probation, you should seek an agreement from your probation officer to support the early discharge. Without that consent, the likelihood of any Judge allowing an early release is extremely unlikely.

Most of the time, a judge will agree with the probation officer. Therefore, discuss this desire and the reasons for it with the probation officer. Seek his or her support in this request. If you get it, the judge will likely approve it. The probation officer may be willing to submit the request for to the judge for you. If the probation officer supports this, and makes the request, a hearing may not be needed. If the probation officer says he or she will not support it or make the request for you, then ask if he or she would oppose the request if you made it? If the response if "I won't oppose it," that might be a form or lukewarm support. Then you or your lawyer can prepare a written motion, schedule a hearing, and file it with the court. I hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate the question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But I live in Florida and on probabtion in Minnesota. How do i do it then? My po is all for it btw..but has no idea what I am to I get her to write a letter and then I write one to minnesota?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.
Any early discharge must be approved by the court in Minnesota. You will need a letter from the Florida Parole officer, and your old PO in Minnesota in support of the early discharge motion.