Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How is conditional release legal? It's a second sentence

Customer Question
after your initial sentence which...
How is conditional release legal? It's a second sentence after your initial sentence which is double jeopardy.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have but I've heard a few different things. One that it is legal and also that its not and that there are ways to overturn such a sentence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/26/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Conditional release is usually included and written in as part of your sentencing at the time of your original sentencing.

While I'm sure this can feel like double jeopardy, that's not quite the case.

Double jeopardy is legal term that refers to the fact that you cannot be twice tried for the same set of facts or same incident. That is, you stood trial for your case once, you cannot again be brought to trial for the same incident.

As I stated above, conditional release is usually included in the original sentencing and/or plea agreement.

It's a sort of stepping-down process, where you are released from jail or prison, but the court still feels there should be a bit of additional monitoring.

If you don't run into any problems with following the terms of your conditional release, then you can always file a motion for early termination in a couple months.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer