Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I just filed out a chat and was paying the deposit when

Customer Question

I just filed out a chat and was paying the deposit when everything disappeared.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: I was charged with assault in the third degree in Portland, Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, but he wants $20,000 to defend me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is for a traffic accident
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm reviewing your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response!

In the state of Oregon, an assault in the third degree is a Class C felony.

If the assault was committed while you were intoxicated and operating a motor vehicle, then it is a Class B felony.

A class B felony is punishable by up to ten years in jail, a fine up to $250,000, or both.

A class C felony is punishable by up to five years in prison, a fine up to $125,000, or both.

As you can see tell from the sentencing guidelines I listed, this alleged crime has some potentially very serious consequences. As such, you really want to ensure that you do have an attorney working vigorously on your behalf to raise all possible defenses you might have to this charge.

I know that the attorney you spoke with cited you at a rather high fee, my recommendation would be to shop around and speak with some other local defense attorneys in your area.

Attorneys all set their own fees, so that is not the standard price, you may in fact find an attorney you like much better with an even more affordable fee. Also, there are many attorneys who will work with you to establish a payment plan, as opposed to having to pay all of the fees up front.

Also keep in mind, if you cannot afford to hire an attorney then one will be appointed to you by the court at your first court appearance.

There are many possible defenses that you might have, depending on the facts and details of your unique situation and alleged incident.

Keep in mind, that the prosecutor in your case needs to prove the element of recklessness and there may be legal defenses or evidence that you might have, which would prevent the prosecutor from being able to successfully prove the case against you.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!