LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Experience:  I can provide detailed, thoughtful assistance to help you solve your legal problems.
60109343

I have been charged with a misdemeanor for retail theft, and

Customer Question

I have been charged with a misdemeanor for retail theft, and when I showed up for my court date, the judge rescheduled my court date and told me to get a lawyer. Should I go with a lawyer or a public defender?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Illinois. I was caught stealing at work. I returned everything, and they charged me with a misdemeanor
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is my first offense/ criminal charge
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It's always better to go with your own lawyer if you can. Public defenders are well qualified and competent, but they simply have too many cases to give each one their fullest possible effort. A theft charge can huge big life consequences for you down the road and so a full defense is worth every penny if you can afford it.

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....