How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30382
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I few questions to ask. Yesterday me and my live in

Customer Question

Hello Pearl! My name is***** few questions to ask. Yesterday me and my live in boyfriend got into an arguement. My daughter heard it and called the cop cause she was concerned that would me. They arrested him and he got charged with assault which he didn't assault me. All he did was grabbed my arms. He was released this morning and we couldn't see each other till the court. My question is can I get it to drop even though I didn't press charge?
JA: Have charges been filed? Is there a prior criminal record?
Customer: Yes they charge him
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Murfreesboro, TN
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma"am.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hi Michelle,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Grabbing someone's arms without consent is an assault. Once police are involved, I'm afraid it's out of your hands. They will make the decision whether to refer the case to the DA or not. The DA will decide whether to proceed with criminal charges. You can talk to them and tell them what really happened, but the decision is ultimately up to them. If they believe you or your daughter are in danger, they might want to move ahead with things.

If he was served with a restraining order, he cannot come back into the house until it's lifted, even with your permission. He'd go to jail if anyone found out. He may be able to get a criminal defense attorney to help him remove the order.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Lucy! Can I call the DA and ask if it can be lifted?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

You can call and ask. They don't have to do it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh okay!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How hard is it to get it lifted
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

It depends on the facts of the case. If the DA believes he abused you, they will probably decline to remove the order. If they're not planning to proceed with charges, then they might agree to do it.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?