Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a question: Can a simple battery case go forward in

Customer Question

I have a question: Can a simple battery case go forward in Florida if the person who was supposedly struck does not pursue the case or show up to court.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.. It is actually for my girl friend.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I guess that is it.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Eventually, if there are no other witnesses and the complainant is able to completely duck the prosecutor, the case would have to be dismissed. But the DA will be given every chance to find the complainant and bring him or her in. And if lawfully served with a subpoena, the complainant can be arrested and charged with contempt by not appearing.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.