Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

This question is about fifth degree theft in Iowa. This

person was charged with fifth...
This question is about fifth degree theft in Iowa. This person was charged with fifth degree theft, arrested at Shopco for shoplifting of $27 worth of merchandise. Arrested inside the store and the items were given back to shopco right then. So items really never left the store. Its not the store that is pressing the charges. The store in a letter from shopco themselves has only requested this person pay for one item that was removed from package. And the money they are saying this person owes is not for the item itself but the wages for having to repackage and return to where they got it for being opened. Basically like sending them a bill in the mail payable to shopco. What does the state have to prove to be found guilty?
7/22/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Were the police involved in the arrest or only store security? Because this sounds like the store is proceeding with a civil settlement offer instead of having him prosecuted. If so, if he pays the fine, the odds are better than good that criminal charges will not be brought.

Every state's civil law does allow for a shoplifter to be fined well in excess of the property he stole to help defray the cost of the store's theft insurance, surveillance system, security guards and loss prevention department. Here's the statute below that allows for the imposition of the civil penalty.

48-701. LIABILITY FOR REMOVING OR CONCEALING MERCHANDISE — RETAIL THEFT.

Any person who knowingly removes merchandise from a merchant’s premises without paying therefor, or knowingly conceals merchandise to avoid paying therefor, or knowingly commits retail theft, shall be civilly liable to the merchant for the retail value of the merchandise, plus damages of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250), costs of suit and reasonable attorneys’ fees.

the police were involved and this person was charged with 5th degree theft. And as I stated the store sent this person a bill. The merchandise never left the store and the store was given back the merchandise at the time of arrest. The bill was for the one item that was removed from its package. Not for the item, but for the wages and expense of returning the item. I am not sure where you got the idea of any store security. I don't think store security is authorized to arrest and place people in jail anyway. Pretty sure an officer of the law has to do that in Iowa. Not even sure they have store security. No idea. However back to my question. What does the state have to prove to be found guilty? And its not the store pressing the charges.

Thank you for clarifying.

Store personnel have the right to detain a shoplifting suspect. They can search them, hold them for the police, or they can photograph them and take information from them and ask them to sign paperwork banning them from the store, leaving the police out of it altogether. As the store sent a bill I put those two facts together and inferred that this could be going forward as a civil case only. They are entitled to proceed civilly and/or criminally.

Goods don't need to actually leave the store for someone to be arrested for shoplifting. It's enough to get a shoplifter arrested if the facts and circumstances show that he intended to leave the store with the goods. So if, for example, a surveillance camera shows someone tucking some merchandise under his coat, he can be arrested if he passes the register and heads for the door, because the facts make out his intent to leave the store without paying for the items.

All merchants are entitled to fine shoplifters in an amount in excess of the property stolen or damaged. Theft insurance and security provisions are expensive and that's the reason it's allowed. The amount of the fine is determined by the statute. In Idaho, the fine can be up to $200.

As to what the state has to prove, shoplifting is a theft offense. I have linked you to the law. There are many different theft scenarios in the statute, separately numbered. If the state can prove the elements of any one of the numbered subsections beyond a reasonable doubt he would be able to convict a defendant.

The state would only have to prove that the defendant took control of the merchant's property with the intent to deprive the merchant of that property.

There is where I have a problem with the law. I do not believe anyone can prove what someones intentions were. So that being said there is no defense to this charge as I see it. The prosecutor is gonna say your intentions were to steal it. There is no way to actually prove any different due to intentions are actions that have not happened yet. And as far as being able to read someones mind that is impossible. Unless your the Court or a prosecutor.
My biggest issue is that the store is only requiring this person to pay $119 for a $7 item which was removed from the package. Their letter states that is for like you said their ins. wages paid to employees to repackage ect. Not the actually item since the store recovered everything. My thinking would be the items never left the store, if they pay what the store is requesting from them, the $119, then where is the theft? The store has all items and has also been paid in the amount they came up with. You would think the store would have say if they wanted to press charges or not.

You may disagree with the law, and that is, of course, your right. If you feel strongly about it, take it up with your legislator. But meanwhile, the law disagrees with you, and a shoplifter has to comply with it or potentially face consequences. That said, will the store actually sue him for $119 if he fails to pay the fine? Probably not. But the law gives them the right to do so if they wish.

If he does pay the $119, he is admitting to the theft, and he can be punished separately in criminal court for the unlawful act itself.

As for intent, all the prosecutor can do is to put the evidence of intent to steal out there. It's the jury that has to be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the intent was made out by the prosecution. If they feel unsure of the intent, they would have to find the defendant not guilty.

Like I said they never left the store or went past the register. I was a child once and remember a time when I tried to steal something. I had it in my pants and everything. Walk around for quite some time to get the nerves up to walk out with it in my pants. After about an hour I decided I couldn't do it and put the item back. Then to think if i had been stopped while it was in my pants I could have been charged for theft. For my intentions. Because I don't think I could have found anyone to testify that could see the future and say had you let him be for an hour or so he would have put it back. Bot***** *****ne is in my book until it leaves the store its not theft.
Its already in criminal court Zoey. Thats why I asked the question.
its a misdemeanor charge. What Jury?

Varies from state to state. Some states allow jury trials even for infractions. Others only for felonies. Still others for only serious felonies.

For jury, substitute "finder of fact" at trial.

As for what you feel is more right, there is more than one way to steal an item from a store. You can, for example, switch tags and pay for the item. That's theft too.

I don't know what this person is alleged to have done to make out the elements of the crime. I do know that he doesn't have to leave the store to be convicted if the finder of fact believes beyond a reasonable doubt that he intended to steal the item. If the judge doubts the intent, he'll acquit.

Zoey_ JD
Okay so really as to my question there isn't really anything the state has to prove to be found guilty other then say you intended to steal it. And there is no way to prove any different since intentions are acts that have not happened yet. So you would have to prove what the future would hold. Which is not possible. Oh how our laws are so wrong. Pretty soon people will be arrested because the officer says I intended to speed to work tomorrow and next week I intend to rob a bank. Guilty 20 yrs in prison and didn't leave my house.

Don't forget the defendant has no burden of proof. He never has to prove what he did or didn't intend. It's the prosecutor who has to prove intent in any intent crime and must do so beyond a reasonable doubt. If he can't do it, that's great. The defendant wins.

Sometimes a person's intent -- whether criminal or otherwise -- is perfectly obvious. You're correct that you cannot prove it with 100% certainty. But the law has never required proof beyond a shadow of a doubt, only proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

I guess I am factoring in the Court we are in here. I am so use to the court appointed attorneys around here always putting the Defendants on stand. Basically saying you need to prove your innocents. An honest prosecutor and an honest Judge would help a little. Won't find them here. I can prove that without saying a thing. The documents speak for themselves. But nobody cares around here unless it is themselves they are being dishonest with. The older I get them more I can see how selfish people really are. Scarey.

Yes, I've answered enough of your questions to know what has shaped your perspective. I was trained to keep my clients off of the stand wherever possible -- why make them take on a burden that they never have to assume. But almost all of my clients wanted to testify at their trials.

Maybe there. Here the judge and prosecutor are basically one in the same. You would have to prove you had no intentions of stealing. The charge alone is all they need here to show intent.
Public defenders here and court appointed attorneys here put all their defendants on stand. Can't remember a case where they didn't.
your right by doing this it just makes the prosecution have less to prove themselves. the defendant just did most of it for them.

Most judges I know favor prosecutors here too. But not all, fortunately.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD