Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

When you get a minimum vetting ncic background check it says

Customer Question

When you get a minimum vetting ncic background check it says it goes back 10 years. Does your whole history come up or just to 10 years? Felony at 17 but not sure if it was juvenile or adult. This was over 25 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Your entire history will come up on the NCIC check, but if they say they will only consider the last 10 years, then that's all they will take into consideration.

A 17 year old in Illinois 25 years ago would have come under the jurisdiction of adult court. The maximum age of juvenile court jurisdiction was only relatvely recently raised to include 17-year-olds. You can contact the court where your matter occurred and find out the disposition of your case. For that matter, if you want to see exactly what anyone will see on a NCIC background check, you are entitled to get an official copy of your criminal record from the FBI. Here's how you'd do that.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The form I have to fill out doesn't require fingerprints. Not even sure ssn has to be recorded. It's listed but as an ID. Asks for 2 ID's (military dependent ID and DL)
My last name has changed twice since 1995 and nothing ever comes up under my maiden name at all in any other background check.
Problem is...person who runs these checks is a friend of my husband in his office and if anything at all comes up the whole office will know.
This isn't for employment.....it's a clearence to get on a military base out of country. We actually lived there for a year and would like to go back to visit friends. I'd rather not go then have something show up from over 25 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I see about getting my record cleared? I'm tired of always worrying about it! Not expunged or sealed but pardoned. Does that still show up on ncic? How long does it take? Do I have to go to the court? I don't live in Illinois any longer.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Regardless of your reason for obtaining a background check, your criminal record is your criminal record. If you order it, whatever's on there will show. If the check only goes back ten years, the third party company doing the check will only report the most recent ten year period to the person requesting the check.

The government can always see your entire record, so even if it's expunged or sealed they will be able to know. You would not be eligible for expungment after a conviction unless it was first pardoned.. If yours was a class 3 or 4 felony or a misdemeanor, you may be eligible to have it sealed. You can contact an Illinois lawyer to do that for you so that you don't have to return to Illinois.