Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I have recently been placed on deferred adjudication

Customer Question

I have recently been placed on deferred adjudication probation for a felony offense for 6 years i Texas. Aside from life seeming absolutely difficult for me at this point, the standard probation stipulations include being around convicted felons. HHMMMMM....so that means my father, 4 brothers, my niece, and 2 close friends. I have not met with my probation officer yet, and I certainly DO NOT want to be prohibited from being with my family. What can I do or say to prevent this?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: In Texas. Penal Code 38.11 Prohibited substance or item on a prison facility. I had paper currency
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I own a business that helps released inmates transition to society by provided mentoring, training, skills training, and job placement.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Sorry for the delay.

Your frustration is completely understandable.

Fortunately your situation is a bit unique and not exactly what this stipulation is intended for.

I think that your probation officer should be understanding, IF in the event they are not, then you should have your attorney file a motion with the judge to get this rectified.

Your attorney would just need to file a motion requesting that this stipulation be adjusted so that you can be with your family members. Additionally each family member that this would apply to should be listed by name in the motion so that the judge can make the appropriate order granting the motion.

The court likes to know that an individual has an abundance of familial support in their life, so there definitely should not be any issue in getting this granted.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!