Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am looking to get answers regarding NY sex crime laws, and

Customer Question
if it possible for someone...
I am looking to get answers regarding NY sex crime laws, and if it possible for someone who claims he got unjustly accused of a sex crime at 16 could serve time, end up at Rikers and be forced to plea to avoid further prison time and end up as a level 3 offender if everything happened before Megans Law in 1994
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: All of this happened years ago and this is the story we are being told....the male is now a level 3 offender....and it just sounds implausible that someone was charged as a 16 year old....ended up in Rikers served time and then Megans Law came in 1994 and he supposedly plead guilty to avoid more prison time....this all happened over 23 years ago
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if the lawyer will have specialty understanding of the new York sexual predator laws predating how a minor would have been treated and if this story is at all plausible once Megan law came out because the person was supposedly a minor when it all happened and then megan law came out and he never responded to a letter because he said his time was over and then he ended up as a level 3
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
THis person is now 43...must a photo taken every 3 months for an offense he says happened when he was 16 and was an untrue accusation made against him by family with a serious psychiatric history, He claim he had a good job in 1994 and then Megan Law came out and he ended up a level 3 because he claimed he needed to plead of he would get more time in Rikers. He had a public defender....and claims it would cost lots of money to expunge
I realize people get wrongly accused, but as a minor....he was 16 and victim was 8 and method was coercion 130:65 it just strikes me as hard to believe if it did not really happen that he would end up now as a level 3 and need to have photos taken of him every 3 months.
I read as much as I could on the NY sexual predator website and it says if someone wants to seek relief a public defender can be assigned to help with that, but either he has tried and failed or we are being lied to overall but I just find this hard to believe and I am trying to protect my family from believing the potential lies of a potential sociopath
I really don't understand if a juvenile served time and did probation how they end up for a single offense as a level 3 now that they are an adult and this was so long ago
7/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

I am a NYC criminal defense attorney. A 16-year old may be a minor, but as far as the New York State criminal justice system is concerned, he is not a juvenile. The jurisdiction of juvenile court ends upon the 16th birthday of the minor. As far as the New York penal code is concerned, every 16 year old who commits a crime in New York State is charged, prosecuted, and sentenced as in adult court as an adult offender.

So yes, this story you have been told is entirely plausible. Rikers has an adolescent wing for younger offenders and if his crime was allegedly committed in NYC, he would have properly been held at Rikers during the pendency of his case. As for the Megan's law piece, that affected many, many former offenders in a situation similar to this person's. The law was given retroactive application which is why he and others come under it. It has withstood Constitutional challenges to date.

I am a NYC criminal defense attorney. A 16-year old may be a minor, but as far as the New York State criminal justice system is concerned, he is not a juvenile. The jurisdiction of juvenile court ends upon the 16th birthday of the minor. As far as the New York penal code is concerned, every 16 year old who commits a crime in New York State is charged, prosecuted, and sentenced in adult court as an adult offender.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD