Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was sentenced in North Carolina for a class H felony in…

I was sentenced in North...
I was sentenced in North Carolina for a class H felony in 2007. My sentence was suspended and I had to serve 24 months probation. I had my probation transferred to Ohio where I served the initial 24 months plus an extra year to give time to pay restitution. I recently looked myself up online in the NC records and seen that it says I absconded?! I never got anything in the mail saying I finished my probation, but I remember my probation officer telling me that it was my last check in and I was being released from my probation. I am confused as to why it says that. Any help would be appreciated.
7/15/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

There is no way that anyone could tell from these facts, why it would say that you absconded from your probation. It is probably a mistake. However, it could be a costly one because if you're stopped by police for any reason and there's a fugitive warrant out for you in North Carolina, you will sit in jail and await extradition and then be brought to Carolina.

You should contact a North Carolina criminal lawyer to look into the court papers and see why this has occurred and have him help you correct the problem. He can also have someone find out if Ohio probation discharged your favorably.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

I did a warrant check on myself and there's none issued under my name. I hope it was just a mistake since I made sure i followed all rules and never violated my probation expecially since it was the first time Ive ever been in trouble. I may take your advice and contact a criminal lawyer in NC.

I hope it was a mistake too. However, you don't want the embarassment of getting arrested and facing unnecessary extradition. A lawyer in NC who only has to go to court and ascertain what the problem is is a much cheaper solution.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Also upon this discovery, I ran a background check on myself, and the file I attached is part of what came up.