Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

S****** scammed me out of $1,400.00 he says he had to return

Customer Question

Michael S****** scammed me out of $1,400.00 he says he had to return his oil riig before getting his equipment and it would be returned his check would then be released. of course he had no cash so they put him in jail because the UK IRS were investigating. then he said if he paid JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? Customer: i think Michael Schultz is scaming people. H owes $1200 JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet? Customer: i need to speak to someone ASAP or a lawyer about someone about a scam please call me at(###) ###-####Thank you Emilia Decker JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: no thank you

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Phone calls are a premium service requiring an additional fee. That is strictly optional.

You fell for a scam that we call the Stranded Traveler. He's no more an oil rig worker than I am. Scammers frequently say they are oil rig workers so that they can convince you that they are isolated and without resources except for what money they can convince you to send.

There is no IRS in the UK. That is, there's a tax agency but it's not called the IRS but the HMRC. (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)

Here's how the scam works:

You meet a guy on a social networking or dating site and he falls in love with you at first sight.

He talks love, marriage, future and forever, before you can even meet in person.

He seems to be everything you always wanted in a man, and you can't believe your luck.

Typically, but not always, he claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter. Usually, he claims to have his own business. Most frequently he claims his job involves international traveling.

And lo and behold, before he can finally meet you, he tells you he must go abroad for work purposes, and he ends up typically in some country that's neither his nor yours.

Once there, Mr Perfect suddenly will turn into Mr. Needy, the world's unluckiest guy. He has the first of a series of emergencies for which only your money will do. The excuses are all lies, designed only to part you with your money.

You can see a list of some of the most common emergencies here.

http://romancescams.org/TypesOfScams.html

This scam can come complete with phony documents, phony customs workers, phony lawyers and more. Romance scammers are adept at photoshopping and they create a lot of forged documents.

Feel free to upload photos of him or documents to this question thread if you need harder proof. I'll be happy to look them over if you need further evidence that he's scamming you. But I suspect you know I'm right.

People who do this are professional thieves. Every shred of identifying information you have on him will be false. If you can find him, you could use the courts to get your money back, but finding him will be a job for the authorities, and is unlikely. Your money is probably gone for good.

Report him to the FBI at www.IC3.gov and to your police. As the UK is somehow part of the equation, report him also to ActionFraud, which is the UK's national anti-fraud unit at www.Actionfraud.police.uk

The only good news I can give you is that when you are the victim of a crime, which you are, your losses due to that crime are tax deductible. So in the absolute worse case scenario if nobody can find him, you willl be able to get something back in the form of a deduction when you file your 2017 taxes next year.