Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was sentenced to 3 years probation one day i was too sick…

Customer Question
i was sentenced to 3...
i was sentenced to 3 years probation one day i was too sick to go see my probation officer got volated had done 1year before the volation judge sentence me to three years now he did not state if the time was to run into the time he sentence me to.my question is can i get credit for the time i serviced and if so how?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

This is something that has to be decided by the judge who sentenced you.

In order to get credit for the time that you already served, you are going to need that stated by the prosecutor and the judge on the official court record and written into your sentencing agreement.

If you were supposed to receive credit for that time, then it would have been written into your paperwork at the time of the violation hearing/sentencing.

So you should be able to look back at that paperwork (which you or your attorney should definitely have a copy of) and check if it states that you will receive credit.

If it does not say so, then all hope for credit is not lost, you can ask your attorney to set a Motion on calendar before the judge, requesting that you receive credit for that time.

You need it in writing, on the official court record, or it does not count. You don't want to simply take your probation officer's word for it.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer