How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27759
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got caught in prostitution sting. What are my option, No,

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I got caught in prostitution sting. What are my option
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Washington
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much lawyer would cost
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Criminal Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: Lawyer from you guys ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.


I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Traditionally, this is resolved in court with the payment of a fine, but you really don't want a conviction for a charge like this on your record if you can help it.

You should retain a lawyer and have him with you at your court date. See if he can negotiate a substitution of charges and/or a reduction to something you can find easier to live with. Alternatively, of course, you can fight the case. Once you have a lawyer he can see the police reports, confer with the prosecutor and discuss possible defenses with you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I completely have the charges taken off ? And they took my picture . Will they be on media ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I really don't want any charges on my record. I am gonna commit suicide waiting for the court date
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Please be patient. I am taking follow ups in the order received. I'm working on your now.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

I don't know if a lawyer will be able to get the state to dismiss your case. It's always possible, but I don't know how likely it will be. That depends on all of the facts and circumstances of the case.

As for the newspaper, unless you live in a very small town that typically publishes who gets arrested, your photo and the charges should not appear in the news.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It happened in washington state. And they had published the pictures before in same operation. I looked it up online . And this is my first crime ever . And if they substitute the charges ? Can it be nothing about sex and something else ?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

It's possible they could just let you plead to disorderly conduct or something along those lines. I've seen that happen. It all depends upon the prosecutor and the persuasive powers of your lawyer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do they stay in my record disorderly conduct and other minor chargers ? And how much money approximately am I looking it at ? I have never hired or afford a lawyer before ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I feel like suciding right now . This is the worse feeling ever
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Lawyers charge by how much time they think they will need to resolve your issue. Trials can be expensive because they take a lot of court appearances and a lot of work. A plea agreement can be reasonable.

For the going rate in your area, call the Washington State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. It's also a good place to get a referral to a criminal lawyer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How much am I look it ? Approximately? I am not pleadjng guilty at all .unless it's just money fine !
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am waiting dear . Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello. Can I tell you what happened so you can help me determined and I can sleep
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
U there
Expert:  adamr replied 3 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I work for JustAnswer's Customer Care team.
I wanted to check on you to make sure that you're doing OK and not planning on hurting yourself. I know this seems difficult but you can and will get through this.
We urge you to contact one of the resources available at There is no harm in at least picking up the phone and speaking to someone who cares about you. If you feel more comfortable talking with someone online, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline offers a free online chat service, available at
We will reach out to the Expert that was helping you and you should receive a reply back shortly. You can also reach out to our Customer Care team 24 hours a day at***@******.*** regarding your account.
Adam Roesel - Customer Care Supervisor
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. The thread was locked and I was unable to respond until a moderator reopened it.

I pretty much know what had to have happened. You made a date with what you thought was an escort or a hooker and agreed to give her money for sex. When you showed up to keep the date, you found you were dealing with an undercover officer.

You're not looking at jail. As I said in the beginning, the usual disposition involves the payment of a fine.

Go to court with a lawyer, and if you want that, he will work that out for you. If you can't afford one, plead not guilty, tell the judge you can't afford to hire a lawyer and ask him to appoint you a public defender.