LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Experience:  I can provide detailed, thoughtful assistance to help you solve your legal problems.
60109343

I have been requested to testify in front of a grand jury.

Customer Question

I have been requested to testify in front of a grand jury . It is in Florida and I reside in NJ. Do I have options not to attend?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: I live in NJ and received a subpoena to testify in Florida on Tuesday, July 18th
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a fact witness appearing on behalf of the US Government
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

A subpoena is not a request, it is actually a court backed order, violation of which is punishable by the crime of contempt. You may be able to reschedule the existing date of the subpoena, but you do not have the option not to attend. To ignore the subpoena without making efforts to reschedule could lead to the filing of criminal charges against you for contempt. It's definitely not something you want to do.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....