Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How to expunge a shoplifting charge from being viewed by

Customer Question
employers JA: In what state did...
how to expunge a shoplifting charge from being viewed by employers
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: ga
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I did and plead guilty like a idiot
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that its preventing me from getting a driving job
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, Georgia doesn't expunge criminal convictions. So there's no way to get this off of your record. There are two possible ways to lessen the effects of a conviction, however.

The first would be to seek a pardon from your governor.

Pardons are very rare, and the odds are heavily against you. However, they are easy enough to apply for and you would not need a lawyer to do it. Also, they are free. You can read more about the process and fill out the application here.

The second possibility is also a longhot. It would mean retaining a lawyer because the petition would be complicated. That would be to have a lawyer reopen your husband's old case and petition for it to be dismissed in the interest of justice.

Judges have the power to dismiss a case under their powers of equity, even if the law won't provide for the dismissal. They are very cautious and sparing in their use of this power, and some will refuse to entertain a petition on these grounds at all. But others will do it to prevent an injustice.

You would need to talk to a lawyer about bringing the motion. The lawyer will have to draft it essentially showing why the law under which you were convicted should be ignored in this case. There may be opposition from the DA. So you might want to get some free or low-cost consultations to get a sense of how likely this is to work in your jurisdiction before paying a couple of thousand dollars to a lawyer to try to get this done.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD