Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

At the age of 19, I was convicted of a misdemeanor for

Customer Question
shoplifting. That was 26 years...
At the age of 19, I was convicted of a misdemeanor for shoplifting. That was 26 years ago. I have never been in any type of trouble since. I have three degrees, but I am concerned that this hinders me from growing professionally. Is there anything that can be done to have the misdemeanor removed from my record or at least sealed from the public?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was in college and at the mall with friends. One of the sales associates (our roommate) slipped some clothing into our bags that we did not pay for along with the items that we did actually purchase. We walked out of the store and into the mall area, and we were immediately approached by mall security.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Other than the fact that I've never been any type of trouble before or after that... I don't think so. Is there anything else that the attorney would need to know?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response.

I understand your concern about this. Fortunately, under Virginia law, if this was your first ever criminal offense then it is in fact eligible for expungement.

Expungement means that ALL police records and court records related to the misdemeanor shoplifting charge will be completely erased. It will not show up on any future background checks.

In order to petition to have this expunged you'll need to fill out a Petition for Expungement and either submit it in person, or mail it in to the County Circuit Court in the jurisdiction in which the charge originally occurred.

You can access the Petition for Expungement here:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/circuit/cc1473.pdf

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer