Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Have previous criminal record in NM with deferred sentence

for soliciting a prostitute in...
Have previous criminal record in NM with deferred sentence for soliciting a prostitute in 1998. Would like to have this record sealed or "expunged " . Was told I could apply to court to have this done but not sure about laws in NM for this process. Any thoughts?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NM New Mexici
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it
7/10/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Was this state or federal court, please?

State
Prefer not to call please
Hello? Are we still connected?

Thank you. I am afraid an expungement is NOT possible for a conviction.

A party in your situation may wish to file for what is known as a PARDON. Essentially, New Mexico may pardon your conviction. See HERE on how to file.

Now, there is no right for a pardon - it is at the state's discretion. The good news is that while many are denied, because you were young and it has been a long time and this is a relatively minor matter, this is a better chance than most provided no criminal record has was had afterwards.

Contact:

Marcus Blais
Assistant General Counsel
Office of the Governor
State Capitol Building, Suite 400
Santa Fe, NM 87501(###) ###-####

A pardon does not erase a conviction. However, it lessens the stigma associated with it and most employers treat it as though it was not there. Your civil rights would also be restored, if they were marginalized.

However, a pardon does not mean that the conviction can be erased.

See United States v. Reese, No. 33,950, N.M. Sup. Ct. (May 1, 2014) for more. I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click FINISH. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law