Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it possible to extend the court trial date. If Yes, how…

Is it possible to extend...
Is it possible to extend the court trial date. If Yes , how and when need to be informed before court trial date.
7/9/2017
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
A motion for a continuance can be filed and the party would need to show good cause. By that, I mean they need to explain to the judge why they are unable to appear and/or are ready for trial. The motion should be filed as soon as the party is aware of the issue if a trial date has already been set.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can defender file their own or need help of attorney to file the motion for extension. Is there any form, application or online submission Is possible.
the defendant can file it on their own if they are not represented by legal counsel. The clerk of court may have a form to file for the motion
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For how many days we can postponed the trial date. Is there any criterion for extension.
If there is a reason you need it set after a certain date you can ask for it. For example if a party will be traveling they would ask for it to be reset until they return. However the time has to be reasonable. A judge can reset it 30-45 days but is not going to wait month
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty