Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How does conspiracy laws work and is it possible to get

Customer Question
How does conspiracy laws...

How does conspiracy laws work and is it possible to get charges applied without ever being arrested on them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

California ,ventura county

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope I'm stunned and disbelief i.really don't know wht to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just know I been issued a warrant for charges tht I never been arrested on and put a 1275 hold on me for bail

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/4/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The crime of conspiracy is complete when two or more people agree to commit any crime, with the intent that the crime be committed. Cal. Pen. Code, Section 182. It's also a conspiracy to agree with someone else to falsely accuse someone else of a crime, file a false lawsuit, cheat someone out of property, or obstruct justice. The crime is in the agreement. However, the indictment or information must allege that one or more acts was taken by some member of the conspiracy to complete the crime. Additionally, any person who is a member of a gang and benefits by criminal conduct of other gang members is considered to have conspired with them under Cal. Pen. Code, Section 182.5.

It is possible for a warrant to be issued without a person ever being charged. That sometimes happen when police can't find a person, but it can also happen if they mailed you notice of a court date and you didn't show up. Notices frequently go to the address on your driver's license - the most common way that people get a warrant is that they didn't receive a notice because they didn't update the DMV when you moved. That's not the only way, but it's pretty common.

You have a right to know what the charges against you are. If you've been taken into custody, they will take you before a judge, who will explain exactly what you are accused of doing. Not just a conspiracy, but the specific offense. You have a constitutional right to ask for a lawyer to represent you if you cannot afford one. The judge must appoint one for you if the crime is one that can be punished by jail (whether jail is ultimately likely or not).

The lawyer will enter a plea of not guilty on your behalf, argue for reduced bail, and get a copy of all the evidence against you. Once you have that, you'll be able to determine the best way to defend the case. If the judge won't reduce bail to someone you can afford, it may be possible to get a bail bondsman to put up 90% of the money. You'll pay 10%, and after the case is over, the bond company will keep it as their fee.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer