Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was turned down for a gun purchase for a misdemeanor I had…

Customer Question
I was turned down...

I was turned down for a gun purchase for a misdemeanor I had 22 years ago. I had a 242 pc and a 12031(a). I noticed that I didnt meet the criteria for 12031(a) as I was pulled over with a loaded gun in the car, but it was registered to me. Is there anything I can do to have this removed instead of it misrepresenting my record

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

It is in California. The car was I beleive a 1990. What does that have to do with it? The gun was registered to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was arrested and given 3 years probation.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/24/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There is nothing you can do to reopen any past convictions if you believe they are now inapplicable to your situation; however, there are certain steps you can take to get your gun rights restored. However, you should be aware that if you were not in lawful possession, the crime would have been a felony but if you were in lawful possession, then it is considered a misdemeanor.

In order to get your gun rights restored, you are going to have to seek a pardon from the California governor. This is done through a two-step process:

1. Petition the superior court for a California Certificate of Rehabilitation
  2. If the petition is granted, it automatically becomes a petition for a pardon.
Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer