Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can you answer, or help me find a lawyer, who can do this

Customer Question

Can you answer, or help me find a lawyer, who can do this type of research?I am looking for case law research for a Massachusetts case which involves Criminal Harassment (265; 43A) and a Harassment Prevention Order (258E). The case basically hinges on what constitutes email harassment. Two very brief emails were sent to the plaintiff, within an hour of each other, after she asked the defendant to stop emailing. There was nothing threatening or disturbing in the emails, but the judge said, "No means no" and counted the emails as one/two incidents (out of the three) required for [265; 43A] and [258E].What determines the level required for an email(s) to demonstrate "intent to cause fear, intimidation, or abuse" and/or "would seriously alarm a reasonable person"?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Here are some Massachusetts cases that deal with determining the standard for harassment. As you can see, there's no bright line standard. Harassment is subjective. What annoys me may not annoy you. But it still can be reasonable under the facts and circumstances of the case.