Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was sentenced to two years probation when I was 13. My

Customer Question
record has since been cleared...
I was sentenced to two years probation when I was 13. My record has since been cleared. Can I legally purchase a firearm in the state of missouri
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/15/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

What were you convicted for? Were all of your civil rights restored, including your gun rights?

I don't remember exactly what the charges were but I'm allowed to legally vote
I don't know if that means since I'm allowed to vote that I'm allowed own a gun

Sorry for the delay. I was taking a lunch break. Please give me a moment to look up the law in your state.

The state of Missouri will automatically restore your right to vote and your right to hold office once your sentence is over. Your right to sit on a jury, however, is restored only upon a pardon. An expungement or a pardon would restore your state gun rights.

If all of your civil rights are restored by Missouri, including your gun rights, then the Federal government will lift its ban and you would have your full state and Federal rights.

How do I find out if that's happened?

How did you have your record cleaned up? Was it expunged or just sealed?

I believe it was just sealed
Charges were originally in Texas and they said that as long as I completed probation and didn't get in anymore trouble when I turned 18 it would be erased

That makes a huge difference, since the only state you referenced on your answer was Missouri.

Did you take a plea in Texas when you resolved your case?

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD