RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What is a grand jury warrant?

Customer Question

what is a grand jury warrant?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

In Georgia people can be charged with a crime in two primary ways: an accusation or an indictment. An indictment is where a Grand Jury is presented with evidence, and determines if there is enough probable cause to continue the case.

If a person has not yet been arrested for a crime when the Grand Jury returns a true bill of indictment they will also issue a Grand Jury arrest order (the warrant). This means that a person was charged with a crime in Georgia but has not yet been arrested for that crime.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can a person receive a bond off a grand jury warrant?

Potentially, yes. I would say bond is given in the majority of cases, but it depends on a number of factors, such as the nature of the crime (a person isn't likely to get a bond for a serious felony like murder, for example), if the court believes the person to be a flight risk, etc.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if someone filed an incident on the wrong date can you have the charges dropped if they are giving wrong dates

You mean the indictment lists the wrong date that the alleged crime took place? Potentially - but it would be up to the court to determine if such an error was something minor that doesn't affect the outcome, or something material to the case. Smaller, "scrivener" errors are often not enough of a basis to have a case dismissed. Professionally speaking, I've only seen it happen once in a case, and it was a traffic matter I happened to observe while waiting in court, but in that instance, the police report had the wrong license plate, wrong model car, wrong time of day (listing day instead of night), wrong address, etc. In my experience, small errors are not enough for a judge to dismiss an action, but again, ultimately, it's up to a judge.