Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a deferred sentence for theft from 16 years ago...

I have a deferred...

I have a deferred sentence for theft from 16 years ago... will that come up on a background check in Colorado?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How far back do they look? Or is there restrictions on how far back they look?

6/13/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Should I expect a response today?

This would show on your record as an arrest and a dismissal unless you took pains to have it sealed at some point. Colorado law does not allow a consumer reporting agency to go back further than 7 years UNLESS you're applying for a job paying more than $75,000. It also doesn't prevent the employer himself from looking further.

a typical background check in Colorado would not look further than 7 years?

Yes.

CRS 12-14-.3-105.3 (1)(e) – Reporting of information prohibited

No consumer reporting agency shall make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (e) Records of arrest, indictment or conviction of a crime that, from the date of disposition, release, or parole, predate the report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $75,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

I should be ok, unless they dive deeper into it?

Yes you should be okay. And if they do dig they will find an arrest and a dismissal.

Thanks Zoey!

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD