Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was charge with a F5 unlawful conduct, and truly no I made

Customer Question
I was charge with a...
I was charge with a F5 unlawful sexual conduct, and truly no I made a
horrible mistake. What are my chances of truly having this reduce to Misdemeanor. This would truly ruin my life if the F5 remains
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: Arizona, I had sexual contact on two occasions with one of my probationers, I was supervising. No intercourse, kiss, and oral, she proceeded by asking me to pay her fines & fees which I refuse.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have a public defender, and reach out yesterday to introduce myself, no return call yet. However, I do not believe having a public defender is in my best interest, and this is my life.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was arrested at my home, and was not read my rights, and I asked them was I being arrested they stated yes. I know I made this mistake, but I truly do not believe my life should be ruined over it
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Public defenders are very busy individuals and getting in touch with them is difficult as they have so many clients that the very first time they meet them is in court.
Yes, it is in your best interest to hire your own attorney who can deal with this problem. The problem is not only with the F5 ruin your life, the fact that this is a sex offense will ruin your life worse as you would face lifetime registration. As far as it getting it reduced to a misdemeanor, as a first offense it could be reduced to a regular simple assault as a misdemeanor but it is going to take some serious negotiation because of the custodial relationship/person of trust relationship. You can likely guarantee you would have to sign some plea agreement that you can never hold any job involving such a position of supervision again, so your career is over.
If you want the best deal though, it is going to be through hiring a private attorney not through a public defender to whom you are another number, even though they are very capable attorneys.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
I have no problem signing a plea to those terms if they presented with the opportunity. I did not force or promise or promise the lady anything, it was a case of poor judgement. I truly feel my life should be ruined and I do understand the issue.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, many people suffer the consequences of their poor judgment hoping that they could get a break. But the reality is that when you have some type of power over another person and that "poor judgment" occurs, you are held to a much higher standard and the courts are sometimes not understanding, which is where a good attorney comes into play.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer