Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In Texas, in a Class Misdemeanor criminal case where the

In Texas , in a...
In Texas , in a Class B Misdemeanor criminal case where the defendant is representing themselves.Is it correct that the defendant can request from the DA any offense reports, any designated documents, papers, written or recorded statements of the defendant or a witness, including witness statements of law enforcement officers, as is legally allowed by Art. 39. 14.
And to do this is a simple request from the defendant to the DA, similar to a normal records request but for them on their own case
6/9/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, both of those things are correct. A person does not need to hire a lawyer to request copies of the evidence the state has against them. And the prosecutor cannot say no. They're required to hand over whatever they have.

Here is a sample motion you can use. It was created for Harris County, but you should be able to use it anywhere simply by substituting the name of the county where your case is being heard.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

it would need to be done as a Motion through the court, using a modified version like you linked to, and not a direct request to the DA?

You can make a direct request to the DA, but they're allowed to insist that you file a motion first.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer