How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13864
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a citation to go to court cause i got caught

Customer Question

I got a citation to go to court cause i got caught Shoplifting $77.00 in walmart but i didnt get out of store the cops arrest me for an hour and then they let me go with a citation to go to court i dont have criminal records this is my firts time im very scared cause i dont want to loose my freedom and i dont want to let my daughter without her mom and i dont have a lawyer .
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Gainesville Florida, that happen last night
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No i dont know what to do im currently unemployed rith now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened, but hopefully I can help put you at ease a little bit. Thefts are categorized under Florida law according to the monetary value of the property. Generally, thefts involving money, goods, or services that are valued at $100 or less are classified as second degree misdemeanors, punishable by a fine of up to $500 and up to sixty days in jail. The likelihood of you getting any jail time though if convicted for something so minor as a first offender is very very low.

Indeed, you may be a good candidate for what is known as a "diversion" program. Upon acceptance into the program, all court proceedings are suspended. Thereafter, you promise to complete certain terms and conditions appropriate to the nature of the offense. For something like petty theft, that might include things like probation, community service, and attendance at an anti-theft class, for example. So long as you successfully complete the program terms and avoid new charges, at the completion of the program, the court will dismiss the charge, and you can then petition the court to have the record expunged so that it doesn't show up on background checks.

I would highly recommend (as I do to all persons charged with a criminal offense) to consult with a local criminal defense attorney. Many offer free or low cost consultations and there's never obligation to hire them. But it will give you an opportunity before your court hearing to discuss your case, determine if you have any defenses, learn a little about how judges and prosecutors handle these types of cases in your county, etc.

As the charge is punishable by jail time, you have the right to a public defender if you cannot afford a lawyer, which you can ask for at your first court appearance. I would NOT recommend simply pleading guilty. If you plead not guilty and ask for a public defender, that will give your lawyer time to negotiate with the prosecutor and get you the best deal possible.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, if you have no additional questions, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thank you.