Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Second opinion] I'm a PHD student, and I have reason to

Second opinion] Hi, I'm a...
Second opinion] Hi, I'm a PHD student, and I have reason to think I'm soon to be accused of one or more crimes I did not commit.I'm not sure how much detail to give, this could be 1 or 50 pages, so I'll say it briefly and let me know if you want more info.
What happened
I'm member of acommunity of people that know each other well in Bay Area with about 300 or so people.
Two of those people have spoken out on facebook (one publically) that they are looking for people who "felt harmed" by me to find ways to pursue legal action
I believe they are looking for a woman (any woman) who would be willing to accuse me of:
Lewd sexual conduct
Sexual Harrassment or
Rape
A minority of this large community, of which I've been part for years, dislikes me for several reasons:
I'm more outspoken and extroverted than most people
I've dated several people in the community (always with all parties knowing fully, no cheating or misconduct, no harrasment)I am still in good terms and friends with many of the community members and still in contact with them regularly.
I have in the past been forbidden of going to community events due to some people being wary of me, and thinking that I am too fortwith to express interest if I am interested in dating someone.There's way more things but that is the general idea.
What I want:
I want to be prepared if they do find someone willing to do an accusation.I have also had a strong smear campaign of people trying to destroy my reputation by accusing me of varieties of sexual misconduct (socially, not legally) for a while. Mostly since a very hardcore feminist, moved to our group house for the summer. In the first 4 days there, she accused 3 men of sexual harassment, and kept taking that sort of action for a good time after that.Unfortunately, she has just returned to the Bay to spend the summer in the area again, and we have lots of friends in common, which I fear could cause them to to become more excited about second hand accusations and try to actually act on it. I believe she already accused a boyfriend of rape before legally. Luckily I did not flirt, court, kiss, date or had any relations with her, which is why I think they are looking for another person to accuse me.How can I prepare for a false accusation?Are they commiting a crime (conspiracy or defamation?) by using facebook to get everyone to think I commited crimes and getting together to find a way to prosecute me?
IF they are, should I react in some way? Should I accuse them?
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2017
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. It will be my pleasure to assist you.

When you speak of false allegations that are causing harm to your reputation you have the ability to file an action against those making these allegations for defamation of character. Where are you located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bay Area, Cali.Besides having a lawyer's phone on my phone in case the police comes to me, is there any other way to prepare for a false accusation?

Do you know the exact allegations?

Are you online with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since I've been worrying about this, I came up with some hypotheses....
I think they'll go for lewd sexual conduct or harassment or rape. But not the specifics in terms of whom would be pressing charges or for what situation.
In order to prepare you would need to come up with reasons why the allegations did not happen. Otherwise I would have an Attorney available in the event anything occurs.
It is always best to have an Attorney. This is the case for false allegations as well as truthful allegations. Give me a moment to provide a link for Attorneys that provide FREE consultations.

This is a link for Attorneys that provide FREE consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/criminal-law/san-francisco/california.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Do you have any additional questions for me?

attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney