legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Is there a time limit in which courts can collect old court

Customer Question

is there a time limit in which courts can collect old court cost in al
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: a;
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This is an 2004 criminal case
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The statute of limitations is 6 years; please see:

http://www.govcollect.org/files/Alabama_Collection_Law.pdf

Unless the order has been made a judgment;

In which case 6-9-211 allows it to be valid for 10 years, and renewed for another 10 years.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When a final judgement is entered in a criminal case and not reduced to a formal judgement and not enrolled in the judgement book, is this the time at which the statute begins to run?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still in alabama. thank you

Yes, that would be correct. Subsequent payments can restart the statute, as can affirmations/promises to pay.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

Kindly rate 5 stars if you found the above helpful!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, but you are completely wrong! In Alabama fines and costs are considered part of the punishment and thus are not subject to the statute of limitations and will go on forever unless the Judge forgives them.

I apologize; the case law indicates that the statutes do not apply to criminal cases; please see the Little case:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6967691917931892004&q=Little+v.+State,+693+So.2d+30&hl=en&as_sdt=40006&as_vis=1

I hope this helps. (normally case law research is an additional service so our inquiries are usually limited to citing statutes).

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

(no additional charges are incurred).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If you had told me this before I researched it I would have been pleased, but I am not pleased now.

I am sorry to hear that; case law research is an additional service so we normally do not provide that unless the customer requests it-it actually costs us to perform that type of research so it is not included in the base price.

Case law research is offered as a premium service and is done only after the customer accepts the answer and submits payment; otherwise the information is based on statutory information from the state's database.