Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son is 17. He admitted taking Xanax. He wandered the

Customer Question

My son is 17. He admitted taking Xanax . He wandered the neighborhood . He entered a vehicle and spoke to the home owner. Did not conceal himself at all. Police came to our door .He had not been home from schoil and we had not seen him. We turned on the scanner. More police. A canine unit was called. He was taken to the hospitAl. We found out later for scratches. He was so high he tried to pet the dog .17 in custody we knew nothing about medicAL or found . He was denied bond. Attorney contacted paid 1750 for traffic tickets that had not gone to court for never went to see his client. We kept calling attoney. Motion for bond turned out to be a preliminary hearing. Another charge . High got a cane from a garage and dropped it on the ground. School counselor came said a b stusent . Good student. D.a. said all neighbors say do not let him out. Neighborhood has had issues with entering vehicles but son no prior arrests and not currently on probation. bond denied. School semester lost . Prevents from being a senior next year.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes . Lawyer we had originally never went to see our son that had hired him for traffic court . He filed a motion for bond anD day of hearing excused himself and got an attorney he knew to stand in. Due to traffic tickets out on bond but not released on special conditions and neighbor calls . Bone denied. SomethING is not right. They said will consider bond if we send him to treatment for at leaSt 6 months. This seems like punishment before trial . He needs some drug help due to charges bUT not this much or he would have had withdrawal symptons. He has been in jail since April 20
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We were told day bond denied may 4 to find a place. Finally found one for age 17 and was told will ask judge to sign a firm from the stand in attorney that day. We called her back and had to retain her now to do this. A cade last month sentenced here for intended burglary and this boys all had bonds for guns yeti coolers . And my son talks to the people clearly not intended and no bond. I just need an opinion if I am in denial or someone sees I feel wronged . We asked about d.a. having a conflict due to close relations in neighborhood of charges . Attorney originally we had laughed that off but day of hearing may 4 he excused himself and said he knew one of the neighbors
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to complete the process to get an answer. I finally have my temporary password ***** went back to complete this process and it says use another method of payment while my bank is showing 2 .... 5.00 pending fees so the information entered is correct
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Why is the question closed ? If I am not charged the pending charge will fall off , but my card info is correct or I would not have a pending charge
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

what is your specific question about all of this for us?

What was he charged with specifically?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was charged with 2 counts of 2nd degree burglary . Loitering and prowlING and obstruction. After 13 days they came back with 2 more 1st degree . He went in a garage wandering around and picked up a cane and drooped it in their yard. 1 st degree. And says another 1st degree took liquor and phone charger . That happened same night . He was picked up with none of that so I don't know my question is not on probation and no priors . Why no bond. He was in school and has now failed this whole semester . In jail 27 days. It is terrible but I don't think most people charged sit there and talk to the people. Drugs clearly involved . This is awful but I have researched . This county March last year arrested 3 for this . Confinscated guns coolers. Whole table of things . All over local paper and all of them received bond
He is entitled to reasonable bond under the law unless there is some proof that he will continue to commit offenses if released (that does not sound to be something he would do based off what you are saying). If he had no prior record, his attorney should be filing for a bond hearing to get him out on reasonable bond. Also, as drugs are involved you need to get to his attorney and ask the attorney to ask the court to arrange for him to get into a substance abuse program, this way you can seek to stop this problem before it gets worse, as he is still young enough to stop it.
As far as the charges, if he went into these homes and garages the charges are proper, although likely excessive if everything happened as you said it did.
Under the law and the Constitution he is entitled to reasonable bail unless the court believes he will be a danger to society, he would be a risk of not appearing in court or would be at risk for committing the same types of offenses. So, you need to go to his attorney and you need to tell the attorney to file for a bond reduction hearing to get bond set so you can get your son out. That is his attorney's job and that is what you need to do to get him out.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.