How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nephew has a warrant out for his arrest in a different

Customer Question

Hi. My nephew has a warrant out for his arrest in a different state for drug charges. First time offender. He missed his court date . But was not aware of the date and time of the court date. Was never notified. Now he has a warrant out for his arrest in another state. What should he do?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Dothan Alambama
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The bails bondman just put a 10,000 dollars reward out for his arrest on facebook??
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does he have rights?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Your nephew can call the courthouse and set a new court date. When he appears, he can ask the judge to recall the warrant. It's possible that the judge will want him to remain in jail until trial, especially since he lives in a different state. That's up to the judge. He might want to call the public defender's office in that county and ask them to send someone to help him at the hearing (unless he already has a lawyer).

When a person misses court, their bail is forfeited. He could be required to pay the bond company the money they lost as a result of his failure to appear It's not likely that any other company will pay to bail him out after he missed an appearance. That's something to be aware of.

At the same time, it's not likely that your nephew would be picked up in one state and transported across state lines for drug charges unless you're talking about felony manufacturing or trafficking charges. It's also not likely that police would travel across state lines to arrest him. So he may remain free until he can arrange to go to court and take care of the case. But it's also possible the bail bond company will come looking for him, which is one reason to take care of it sooner rather than later.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?

Related Criminal Law Questions