Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I would like to get my record sealed do I can get

Customer Question

I would like to get my record sealed do I can get employment
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Nc
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i had a report run and tried to see if I could get it expunged but they said they couldn't help me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How long has it been since completion of your sentence? Was the conviction a misdemeanor or felony?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Felony 2002
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
SCAN_20170509_141053718.pdf
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a copy of my stuff
Your scan is not showing up and I cannot open it, sorry.
Under NC law, if it has been at least FIFTEEN (15) years since the completion of your sentence (probation/parole/jail) you can file a motion in the NC court for expunction/sealing of your record only for a minor or low level or non-violent felony (any crimes against person or serious crimes cannot be sealed or expunged). See: http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_15A/GS_15A-145.5.html
So, if your felony qualifies and you have had no further charges, you would need to have a local attorney from your county (NC law forbids any of the experts on this site from actually representing anyone from this site) to file a motion for expunction/sealing of the record in the court where you were convicted and attach proof you have satisfied all of the requirements of the statute. The DA would have to get a copy of your motion and has a right to object. If there is no objection, usually the DA will not object in most cases, then the court may expunge and/or seal the conviction (this does not restore gun rights for federal purposes, it merely means the conviction is not visible on a records check).
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I email you the report

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry, we cannot receive email, you have to upload the link to it so I can open the document.

Or you can copy and paste the pertinent information with names removed here.