How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27419
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm located in the state of California and my boyfriend got

Customer Question

hi I'm located in the state of California and my boyfriend got arrested Tuesday may 9,2016 . he was scheduled for a video court today at 1230 . when he went to see the judge the judge stated he had no charges filed against him . he has court again on the 18th of this month and that's for violation of parole . my question is will he be released until he has court on the 18th or will be remain in county until his court date and they decide his sentence ?
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I don't think he has yet . like I said the DA has not filed charges against him . my question is should he be released until he has his court or does he remain in county until a sentence is determined ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.


I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Is your boyfriend still in jail at this time? That was not clear

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

I was waiting for a response, but I can frame a reply. If you need to follow up or get clarification, just respond on this question thread.

Parole can violate just for an arrest, so long as that arrest was made with probable cause. So even though the case against him was never prosecuted, he can be held until the parole hearing, and that would be proper.

In my experience, however, when the underlying case has been dismissed, any sanction Parole imposes will generally be short-term, that is, weeks instead of months or years. When I say that, I'm assuming that the Parolee has been generally compliant with the terms of his parole and that the facts of the case he was arrested for are not too serious.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.