RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My bf just got arrested and he is wanted in NJ but his

Customer Question

My bf just got arrested and he is wanted in NJ but his charge is fugitive from justice how long will he serve in jail
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: He was arrested in 2011 but he got arrested may 11 at 330 am in Anderson sc
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I'm scared nervous depressed I've been crying since he left and i haven't been to sleep
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

When an individual leaves the state without fulfilling probation or parole, or resolving criminal charges following an arrested, he is termed a "Fugitive from Justice". A person who is categorized in this fashion is typically subject to arrest and extradition on a warrant to the demanding state or country for purpose of responding to the criminal justice system. Defendants may be extradited based on a wide range of charges. Thus, this isn't a charge that carries a possible sentence -rather, it is a means for NJ to request that South Carolina return him to the state to face prosecution for his charge(s).

Furthermore, there's no way to know for sure how much time a person will do. Very few crimes have minimum mandatory sentences, rather, a sentence is often given by the judge based on a variety of factors, such as a person's prior criminal record and a recommendation from the prosecutor.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. This costs you nothing extra.​ Thank you!