Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have failed a BAC fro pre trial. Therefore I failed my PR

Customer Question
bond. I now how a...
I have failed a BAC fro pre trial. Therefore I failed my PR bond. I now how a warrant for my arrest. How much jail time am i looking at
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Colorado Springs. This morning
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of. I don't have a bond issued. My PO said to wait to turn myself in until he figured something out. Should I wait or should I turn myself to avoid more trouble
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a domestic violence charge and a child abuse charge.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 2 days by:
5/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Generally you would be looking at least at an arrest and a setting of a cash bond, no more PR bond. You would be held in jail until you are able to post the new bond set by the judge.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Am I able to request a bond from my District Attorney before I turn myself in? I know I broke my PR bond. But would I just be able to pay the fine for my old bond and the new one if I ask my Public Deffender to request that from the DA? Or is that pointless to ask.
I'm just not sure how this works. I can't miss too many days from work.

Thank you for your reply.

It is up to the judge to set a bond now, not the DA. You would need your attorney to arrange a bond through the court when you turn yourself in and the court will set one at which point you can surrender to the court and place the bond as required.

my best option would be to turn my self in as soon as possible?

Thank you for your reply.

The best option is to get a local attorney to go to court with you to arrange the bond at the same time you surrender to the court, this minimizes any time you must spend in jail.

Thank you for your help.
I'm supposed to have court on the 31st. Is that when I should just surrender myself to the court? & So I don't have to spend any time in jail. I will have all my bond money In cash that day. I'm not aware of how much my new bond will be tho. Or would I still have to spend time in jail for breaking my PR bond

Thank you for your reply.

You should surrender before that time, but you need to get your attorney working on it now. They will arrange for bond first and then set a date to go with you to surrender in the court. There still could be some minimal jail time for the bond to process, but that is up to the judge.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer