Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Trying to find out if my sons criminal record of two

felonies will be eligible to...
Trying to find out if my sons criminal record of two felonies will be eligible to be expunged and sealed
5/11/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and I may also have to respond to other customers.

In what US state was your son convicted? What were the charges? Was you son a juvenile or an adult? Are the charges state or Federal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was 15 when he committed the crimes. Burglary and grand theft auto.He's 16 now and hasn't yet been convicted.this all happened in FL. These are state charges.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have a court date on wed 5/17

Thank you. Let me look up Florida's expungement statutes and type an answer for you. It may take a little time, so please be patient.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok no problem.

Actually, I got to it quickly.

Florida automatically will expunge juvenile records. They don't do it right away. But if your son isn't found to be a serious or habitual juvenile offender, the state will automatically expunge his record by the time he turns 21. If he IS found to be a serious or habitual juvenile offender, then they expunge it 5 years after he turns 21.

You can see your state's law here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good to know. I could also fill out an app to have it sealed and expunged sooner than 21 right?

Yup. See subsection 2 of the statute.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!